History of the Program
World War II was the beginning point of technology programs. The Electronics and Computer Technology program at Oklahoma State University began in response to the military needs in the early 1940's. It then developed into a two-year technician certificate program in the late 1940's. It further developed into a true science and math based program in the late 1950's. OSU served as a model for the development of higher level electronics programs throughout the U.S. during the 1960's.
In 1969, OSU extended the program to four years, replacing the original technician level curriculum. The first two years lead to the Associate degree (AS) and the final two years earned the Bachelor of Science (BS) degree. The AS Degree was finally discontinued in 1985, and in 1998 the name was changed to Electrical Engineering Technology.
Today, the curriculum is a four year bachelor's program, emphasizing electronic fundamentals and applications. Program objectives are to prepare graduates for careers such as customer service representatives, plant managers, system designers, computer programmers, and electronic designers. This program strives to educate students in the areas of analog and digital communications, microprocessors, computer programming, electronic systems design, analog and digital circuit analysis and design, data acquisition, control systems, and digital signal processing.